Every effort is made to ensure that you are comfortable and well informed throughout your visit. The first appointment lasts for an hour and allows time to:
- Listen and ask questions; about your complaint, your general health, lifestyle habits, medical care you have/are receiving, medication you are taking, and record this in your case notes (the information you provide will be confidential).
- Assess your posture; you’ll be asked to stand and perform some simple movements so that your posture can be assessed. This will help to localize the site and potential cause of your pain and identify areas of your body that are not moving efficiently. It’s likely that you will be asked to remove some of your clothing, however if you feel uncomfortable about this, please say so, in some cases wearing baggy clothing will suffice.
- Passively assess; the health of the joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves and other connective tissues are assessed using a highly developed sense of touch and passive joint positioning.
- Form a diagnosis; based our discussions and the physical assessments, a working diagnosis will be explained to you.
- Treatment: When you have understood the working diagnosis and are happy to continue with the proposed management plan, treatment follows.
“Excessive or restricted movement, stiffness or pain in one part of your body may be linked to another more remote area which may also need to be treated”